Aaron Rodgers on Preparation, Playing QB, and Peyton Manning
On his HBO show “Any Given Wednesday” last week, Bill Simmons had a long and interesting interview full of great Aaron Rodgers quotes, and he delivered some great insight on playing quarterback and the finer points of pre-snap strategy.
He went into a lot of detail on his offensive philosophy, who his biggest influences are at the quarterback position, and even talked about Peyton Manning’s Omaha call, and the meaning behind it.
Most pro athletes are mediocre interviews at best, but Rodgers actually gave a lot of great information here, and he even talked about the “quick flat” play I’ve written about before.
He also had a great quote about practice and preparation:
Some more things covered:
- Would you rather have A- running backs and receivers and a C- offensive line, OR an A- offensive line with D- running backs and receivers?
- His thoughts on what Peyton Manning did well, especially during his time with the Colts
- Why the simplest stuff is the most effective.
- Pre-snap verbiage and the need to change up week after week
- The areas of the field and the situations where he’s most likely to draw a defender off-sides.
Watch the whole thing here:
If you love detailed game breakdowns, you’ll love my latest book.